Looking after your teeth
While undergoing orthodontic treatment, maintaining good oral hygiene is even more important than usual as food can easily get trapped in your brace, which can cause plaque to build up. If this sticky deposit is not removed, you could develop gum disease, dental decay or bad breath. Patients who don’t clean their teeth properly can also find their treatment takes longer.
Top tips for good oral hygiene
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles as these are most effective at reaching the awkward spaces around brackets and wires.
- Try using a toothbrush specially designed for brace wearers. These have longer bristles on the edges and shorter ones in the middle.
- Consider using an electric toothbrush as studies suggest they remove more plaque and bacteria than a manual one.
- Brush after every meal.
- Use interdental brushes and single-tuft brushes to ensure you have removed as much plaque and bacteria as possible.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash to protect and strengthen teeth.
- Disclosing tablets are a useful way to check you are brushing your teeth properly. These tablets use vegetable dye to highlight leftover plaque or debris in your mouth. This means you can easily spot areas that need attention and quickly remove them with your toothbrush.
When you have orthodontic treatment with us, we will provide you with a starter pack that includes essential items for maintaining good oral hygiene. If you need any replacement products, these can be purchased at the practice.
"Before I had my braces on, my teeth were horrendous. Every part of the process is explained to you and they make you feel so comfortable at Colchester Orthodontics."
Rachel - Patient
"My confidence levels have just shot up since I have had my braces off. It is just brilliant here. They have helped me so much."
Sophie - Patient
"At Colchester Ortho it is such a close-knit group of people from the secretaries, to the nurses to the orthodontists themselves such as Mr Davies."
Ben - Patient
"I have no hesitation in recommending Colchester Orthodontic Centre to you for an excellent, professional clinical treatment service"